Thursday, November 12, 2009

When Your Baby Spits Up Blood

When Sydney was four days old she spit up blood (on a Sunday of course!! Why do these things always happen on a weekend?). I had just fed her and laid her in her swing. When I went back a few minutes later, I found her onesie looking like this:

When I had changed her after feeding her she had spit up a little and it was a pinkish color. I asked Chris about it and then called my mom and told her I thought it looked a little like blood. But I didn't really believe it was because Why would she be spitting up blood??
When I found the blood all over her shirt I said "It was blood!" and went for the phone. Chris picked her up and we discussed going to the ER right away. But Max was sitting right there and I didn't want to leave him with a sitter and I knew we would both want to go to the hospital. So I called them first. The nurse in the Mom & Baby unit told me to call my doctor and leave a message unless she kept spitting it up continuously. I called the doctor and he got back to me within an hour or so. He said that in 99% of cases, the blood comes from the mother. I wasn't bleeding that I could see but he said it could come through a milk duct and I would never see it. That's exactly what happened. Next time I went to feed on that same side, blood came out first. GROSS!!! I felt better knowing that it was my blood but felt so bad for Sydney having to taste that twice. Blood tastes so nasty. Anyway, she spit up just a little more blood after that feeding and then never since.
I'm so glad we didn't go to the ER. We both agreed that we probably would not have made it out of there without her getting at least one poke and we both can't stand to see our babies get poked and prodded. Not to mention the medical bill that would have been needless.
I debated posting about this for awhile since it's kind of disgusting and involves bodily fluids (which I hate) but I've told some people about this and no one had ever heard of it happening before. So for all the moms and dads out there, if your baby ever spits up blood at less than a week old, at least you will have heard of it happening to someone else and hopefully your panic will be lessened by it (you can still panic though since that's what parents do with little tiny babies - or maybe that's just us...).

6 comments:

The Ward Family said...

I read that before but have never seen it. Didn't know it was that much? wow. I would have freaked out! That's good you were able to just call, instead of go in. I probably would have called 911 :)

Nat Lud said...

What a scare! I would have totally panicked. You did good! Hope all goes well from here on out! No more 'vampire milk' for that baby!

Auburn said...

oh my - how scary! I would have been freaking out! Thanks for the heads uP!

Ariana said...

Yeah that happened to me...I read about it somewhere. Something called rusty pipes syndrome. (nice name!)

Troy said...

I remember eva doing that when she was tiny. hers though was because she was sick and coughing so much (another scary deal in itself!), but the doctor did go through the rigmarole asking about my breast health. =) blood is always really freaky coming from any place on a newborn!

elsa totally had "vampire milk" this past week too. i discovered not from spit-up but from pumping. that freaked me out when i looked down to see a bottle full of pink milk. =)

natalie a said...

happens all the time, I'd say you did exactly what I would have done, better sae than sorry - when you guys comming up? I have her present - call me or email whatever, just give us a heads up :)