Sunday, October 3, 2010

I'm a Marathoner!

When I decided to do the St. George marathon a year ago, I was two weeks from giving birth. I thought it would be a great way to lose the baby weight and it was on my bucket list.
Seeing our friend, Dave, finish last year was very inspiring. I decided to go for it this year. I found a running partner, she got pregnant; I found another running partner, and 10 months later we both did a marathon. The training was tough and we learned a lot about our bodies, health, and nutrition.
Here are some things we learned about running a marathon: You don't run a marathon to lose weight. It's expensive. We spent more money on running shoes than I have spent on clothes in the past 4 years. We spent more money on energy packets (that are absolutely disgusting and make you gag). We set our alarms for times in the morning I don't think is decent to tell you on a blog - Chris called it "0'dark thirty." Some goats are very, very friendly. Goats urinate on you when you pick them up and they are scared (but the goat is safe from the street! and I still had to run 1.5 miles home). Border collies can't be worn out and the better shape they are in, the worse it gets. A half marathon is FUN; a full marathon is HARD. I realized even more what an incredible, supportive husband I have and how insanely patient he is. I think he may be pretty glad the marathon is over too. I gained a new respect for people who do anything like this and am still in awe of them. There are not currently any marathons in my future.
This marathon has what are called Pace Teams who help you come in at your goal time. I didn't have a goal time but my running partner wasn't with me (she ran a different marathon two weeks earlier) and she is my pacer. So I joined up with the 4.5 hour pace group. It was one of the best parts of the marathon. The pace leader was great, giving us running and nutrition tips, telling stories the whole time. I held back a lot in the beginning because of the pacer and conserved energy for the end. I stuck next to her and the group until mile 23. At the aid station at mile 23, I couldn't get my speed back up and stayed about 10 feet behind. At aid station 24, I lost her. That was the hardest mile I have ever run in my entire life. The sun was beating down and had been for hours. I had tried to keep up on hydration and the energy packets, but I was running low on steam. But I forced down another packet, kept going and it finally kicked in about mile 25.5. So I looked fine for the pictures.

Above: Chris and above him, my brother-in-law Travis, looking for me. Chris was a little worried because I was supposed to come in around 4 hours 30 minutes and by the official clock, I was almost 10 minutes late. We had no idea it would take me over 8 minutes to get to the start line. But I was near the back of over 6,000 people.

Me waving to the camera, happy to see the balloons at the finish line.

Done! It was in the mid-80's and a friend said it was probably 15 degrees hotter than usual for this time of year. My time! Official time 4:31:05. Thank you Chrissy for letting me use your watch and training with me the WHOLE time (even AFTER you did your marathon!). I still can't believe I did it. I think it made it feel like even more of an accomplishment that mile 24 was so hard. I wanted to walk so badly. But I thought of all the people waiting for me at the finish, that I had made it 24 miles without walking unnecessarily, and I just kept going. Now I just need to thank whoever invented gu.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

You look so great! I'm in awe of YOU. What an inspiration. Who runs her first marathon less than a year after giving birth?? Wish I could have been there at the finish line. :)

Auburn said...

way to go! what a big accomplishment! most people NEVER do a marathon! you should be so proud of yourself .... and i wholeheartedly agree about the difference between a half and a fill marathon!

S said...

Erin you are awesome! What an amazing accomplishment!
~Stacee

Brooke said...

You are amazing! And you look totally cute and skinny! Way to go!