Monday, August 23, 2010

*New* Kitchen Table!

Our little family has needed a new kitchen table for awhile. The one we've had since we've been married has served us well but not only were we outgrowing it by ourselves, but it was impossible to have people over for dinner.
Above is our old table.
So I found this one on Craigslist that had a leaf in the middle and came with four chairs.
I think it turned out great!

Chris came up with the color scheme to match our kitchen.
It took awhile to finish. The one reason it took a LONG time to finish was not my lack of enthusiasm or willingness to do it. I got the table completely sanded and ready to paint. Then I read on the paint and stain that I shouldn't do it when it is more than 90 degrees outside. And it should stay below 90 for 4-6 hours for it to dry properly. Well, this was in July in Southern Utah. The only time it is below 90 degrees is for a short period of time right before dawn! So we finally ended up converting our kitchen to a shop for less than a week (it had taken me 3 weeks to get two coats of stain on it) and it was done! We had to keep kids and dogs away from it though so our kitchen looked like this:

I'm going to do the chairs this fall when I can take it back outside. We'll paint the backs and legs black and stain the seats. I'm sure I'll post those pictures too. It's going to look awesome! and for MUCH cheaper than a new table!
For now it looks like this and it has already been really nice to have the extra space. It fits our little dining area perfect too. Not bad for $110 total :)

7 comments:

Cathi said...

Looks great! You're motivating me to refinish the VERY worn coffee and end tables we have. Maybe.

Rebecca said...

Good Job girl! We did that to our dining table and chairs. I swore I would never do it again. However it sure does make you love you table even more. Looks great!

Kimberly said...

It's so gorgeous! I love it!!

Rachel Doyle said...

That is amazing - I wish I had that much ambition.

mom said...

I love it!! Since I was there when you started it, and know how hard you were working to get the old stain off, I am seriously impressed. I love it.

When I get ready to do the piano, I'll call you for suggestions!

Em and Jer said...

That looks awesome!!! I need to take a class from you.

Erin S. said...

looks awesome erin!! and the new table fits in the space much better ;0)