Sunday, December 28, 2008

There's No Place Like Home...

...for the holidays. We just stayed home for Christmas after going to see Chris's parents the weekend before. Chris went in for a few hours Christmas Eve but we just relaxed the rest of the weekend. Hopefully next weekend the weather will be nicer and we will go drive through Zion's or the Grand Canyon. If anyone is around or wants to come down, just call!

Remember this?

Well, he's quite screeching and has a new habit.

It's quite impressive - he can wiggle his uvula (you know - the thing that hangs down in the back of your throat, go ahead and try it). I didn't really know it was possible but I came to find out that more than half the Gappmayer clan can do this little trick. It's quite a bit quieter than the screeching.

But I have a question for those of you who go to church for three hours every week. When he does this in church or just babbles or squeals, he's obviously happy but he can get pretty loud. Should I take him out of the meeting? If he's loud during Sacrament Meeting, I usually go to the back of the church. But during Relief Society (when all the women meet alone), it's a smaller room and I think it's really distracting. Sometimes I wonder if the women are turning around and looking because they're annoyed or because they think it's cute. Sometimes he "talks" for half an hour. Shouldn't I take him out?

7 comments:

beth said...

It's not that loud so I wouldn't be bothered by it.
It's possible people might be bothered in a smaller and more quiet room.

Though really, my sacrament meeting is SO SO SO noisy, nobody would even notice Max. Yesterday a mom behind me was having a conversation with her son at normal volume:
"Do you need to go to the bathroom? Because we can pause the puzzle for you to go? No? Are you sure? Because we can pause the puzzle for you. Do you have a bloody nose? Did you pick your nose and make it bleed? Do you need to go to the bathroom? Are you sure?" And then when she gave up on that, she just read him a story while he kicked the back of my chair. If any of the women in your RS complain about your child's noise, just read them my little taste of the Daybreak 14th ward, and know that was just 1 mom out of 300. Most of them like to play with their kids and read to them.

Nat Lud said...

Nah, I wouldn't take him out. Babbling is so cute! He's getting so big.

The Ward Family said...

I wondered the same thing because Jocelynn is a talker and I never know if I should take her out. I wouldn't unless he was crying. If they're talking then people don't mind, at least I don't.

Danielle said...

Hey! I found your blog from Carolyn's. What a cute kid you have! And I love all those family pictures. They turned out so well!

Danielle (from the mish)

sleep deprived said...

I only take my kids out if they are REALLY loud, as in loud enough that the older ladies with hearing aids can't hear the lesson.

If it's only "distracting," I wouldn't worry about it.

Rachel Doyle said...

I agree with all of the above-- I am coming to St. George next week - want to hang out sometime? Email me.

MOMG said...

Max's gurgling and babbling are probably more entertaining than the speakers. I love to listen and watch the little one's. I am often more entertained than distracted (this coming from an
"older" attendee.
Love ya,
MomG