What is the best way to take a 9 month, 20+ lb. child (is he still an infant??) through a couple of airports by yourself? Do I take my big Graco stroller, get a small umbrella stroller, use my hotsling, or use a Baby Bjorn???? Any suggestions? also - any suggestions on flying with a 9 month old are welcome too.
PS I am going to NC to see family in March but Chris can't come because of work. Usually it is a nonstop flight but this one has connections both ways. It is about an hour's layover. I'm going to check my luggage but still have a carry-on.
8 years ago
6 comments:
It depends. What else are you bringing with you? If you have luggage you are going to have to pull, I'd probably wear him in your most comfortable carrier so you have your hands free-- and one that's easy to get on and off since they may make you take him off to walk through security. If you just have a small bag, I'd bring the small umbrella stroller. The stroller they usually make you fold up and send through the xrays machines too. Either way, it'll be a pain in the...
Bring a couple "new" toys for the airplane and plenty of snacks. And a binky if he takes it, to help pop his ears on the ascent and descent.
Good luck!! Traveling alone with a baby is never easy.
Wow! Sounds like you're about to go an a bit of an adventure! Sorry I don't have any advice. Have never flown with any of my kids although we will be trying this in April so if ya learn any nifty things pass them on!
With Eva, we would take a small umbrella stroller. You can push that with one hand and pull your luggage with the other. You can always check it at the gate, so it's an easy way to get around with the baby (no, he is no longer an infant, but nor is he really a toddler...guess he's a todfant right now). If you take the umbrella stroller, you'll have always have it when you get where you're going.
Anyway, have fun traveling with your todfant. He's a cutie, bye the way!
I would take a small umbrella stroller for a couple of reasons, it's light and if it gets broken by the not so careful airline personnel you won't feel too badly about it. As for flying with an infant, have small snacks for him. And when you take off and land make sure he is sucking on something to relieve the pressure (now is a good time to feed him). As for your carryon, backpacks are easiest because they keep your hands free which is essential when you have other luggage and a baby to take care of. Good luck, and I hope you have fun.
We took Lily in a baby backpack so that my hands could be free. I LOVED the experience that way. I felt like I she wasn't a flight risk (meaning-- a fleeing risk) and I was free to worry about all of the other stresses in the airport.
As far as the actual flying goes: we're terrible. We gave Lily a super small dose of Children's Motrin and she was zonked for an hour to two. Don't report us to Children's services :)
Hey. I flew with Jocelynn twice to UT. The first time, I took my stroller with her car seat and a backpack. If there is enough room on the flight, you can put the car seat next to you. I liked this because she may not go in it but at least no one will be next to you. More space for the both of you. You can push the stroller and car seat up to the ramp. If you don't think the space matters, just take a backpack and stroller. I wouldn't take your nice one though because two people I know had their strollers broken. I would take favorite anything and snacks he'd be interested in. My mom brought a little "dum dum" sucker just in case!! I also stood up with her and she loved the attention! Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.
Post a Comment