Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sleep...

It's 11:30pm. Sydney is awake. And I mean wide awake. As she is every night at this time. She always stays up an hour and 45 minutes after she wakes up. But no matter what time she falls asleep, 8pm, 9pm, even 9:45pm, she wakes up at 10pm almost on the dot.
Here's what we've tried: We give her formula at night to try to help her sleep longer. We've tried feeding her in her room with the lights off and still swaddled but she's just wide awake after she eats. About three nights ago I fed her and was able to get her to go right back to sleep. I tried again tonight and as she was drifting off to sleep, Max moaned in his room and it was enough to completely wake her up.
So here I am awake (Chris has early morning meetings) with Sydney who is as bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as ever. The thing is, she's always been a night owl. When she was first born I had to wake her up all day long so she wouldn't be up all night. And a week later she would be back to sleeping all day if I let her. I've constantly had to keep her days and nights right. So now she goes to bed around midnight, eats around 4:30am and sleeps until 9am sometimes. Tomorrow I think I will wake her up at 7 or so and see if I can't change the circadian rhythm a little bit and get her to go to bed earlier. But I'm out of ideas if that doesn't work. Any suggestions??

8 comments:

Kay said...

She sounds like her mother :) Good luck!

Courtney said...

I would try leaving her in her crib, as hard as that may be, that way she will get in the habit of know that night time is when she needs to be in her crib. Hopefully she will relate the crib to sleep time soon, even though she is only about 3 months old. I don't know if that will help, but that is my thoughts! Good luck!

Brooke said...

I'm with ya! My twins still don't sleep and they are 13 months old. I've tried everything. Hang in there.

sleep deprived said...

Try getting in a little exposure to the sun, especially first thing in the morning. Morning sunlight is supposed to affect circadian rhythms more than the sun the rest of the day.

And you probably know this, but no stimulation at night. No lights, no sound, no more touching her than is necessary.

Have fun!

beth said...

I don't really know, but when Jack eats more often throughout the day, he sleeps better at night. I also bathe him EVERY night (gets tiring!) because that will help him sleep 6 hours at a time! (It has to be a bath in the tub or the sink - those little blue plastic things don't cut it. He likes to float around!)
Good luck!! Sleep deprivation is the hardest part for me so far.

The Ward Family said...

Sorry. Jocelynn was that way. It was hard for her to relax (wake up to any noise) and had it all mixed up. I have a good book called "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child." How old is she now? I read that timing, motionless sleep, and consistency is important. I didn't let Jocelynn start crying herself to sleep till 8 months, even then it was hard for me. My book says 4 months their sleep becomes more adultlike (non REM sleep period). I think waking her at 7am is probably a good way to start. Teaching kids to have good sleep habits is definitely not easy. Good luck!

Ariana said...

I agree with Kristen -- sunlight is important. Also, when she naps during the day, keep the room brightly lit. Hopefully she'll learn that napping is for daytime and sleeping is for nighttime when it's dark.

Rachel Doyle said...

No idea-- we are up every 2.5 hours still. UGH!!!