Wednesday, November 5, 2008

To Swaddle Or Not To Swaddle

When Max was born we wrapped him up in a blanket to sleep. He loved being swaddled and went to sleep easily as soon as you trapped his arms and legs. Awake or asleep, his arms flailed about him aimlessly and constantly and would wake him up if they weren't trapped.
At three months old he slept from 9pm-5am, ate a bottle, and went right back to sleep until 9am. I was loving it. Then he got a little older and a little stronger and started coming unbundled at night which caused him to wake up more often - not something I was okay with.
We decided to try putting him down without being swaddled. I tried everything during the day for his naps. I left one arm out. I tried having him sleep next to me. I tried just letting him cry. I tried everything that I and anyone else I talked to could think of. When I was reading a message board one day, someone recommended The Miracle Blanket. I finally ordered it. The night we got it Max slept 13 hours straight. I had to wake him up! He didn't ever do that again; I think he was just catching up on his lack of sleep. I finally decided to just let him dictate when he was ready to sleep unbundled and to quit trying to force it on him. A lesson that I will probably learn over and over with him.
This is what he looked like in his blue camo Miracle Blanket (Chris picked out the design). Sleeping like a baby.
He was getting too big for the feet section, so they got left out first.
Then one arm - much easier to do with this blanket than others.Finally, no more swaddling. He had a really hard time letting go of that last arm though so I had to replace it with something. I worry a little about him suffocating himself though. But he's 6 months old now and he can move it away from his face, right?
When I first go in to get him after a good nap he has the biggest smile for me. :)

3 comments:

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Yes, it is a sad day when the swaddling ends. I love to use wearable blankets with my kids when they are too old to swaddle but too young to stay under a blanket: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4231322&sourceid=1500000000000003260330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4231322

I think I might have to buy another one now that I am thinking about this.

Nat Lud said...

I hope he gets back to sleeping great for ya! He is too cute with his little blankey. What a handsome little guy!

The Ward Family said...

That's so cute! I wish I swaddled Jocelynn, I never did and that's why I think she was so fussy. Oops, I was a first time mom I guess. That big smile when they wake up from a good nap is the best!