Max's head has been covered in bruises ever since he started crawling (sometimes he doesn't look up at where he's going) and I know it's just going to get worse. A few months ago a friend, who is a nurse at the ER, and I were talking about how some people may look at your child covered in bumps and bruises and may judge you as neglectful. Her comment was, "I'm usually watching right there as my child face plants, runs into the wall, coffee table, or does anything else. I just can't catch him!"
This is what happened last night. Chris was sitting right next to the tub and while Chris reaching for the soap, Max tried to stand up and slipped. He hit his eye just right so that he now has his first black eye.
Below: Last night within 20 minutes of the fateful fall.
As I've watched Max try to pull himself up on anything that isn't soft and cushioned, I've thought how easily he could slip and we could end up in the ER the rest of the day getting stitches. It just happens so FAST! But what do you do? You can't hold onto your child every time they go near a hard surface, can you? Well, I'm sure someone does.
We didn't go to the doctor for this eye. Chris called the instacare but I told him to just take a picture and email it to one of our moms. After 6 kids of her own, I know my mom knows a thing or two about head injuries and I'm sure Chris's mom does too. He talked to a medical assistant anyway, we checked for a concussion, watched him and within minutes he was smiling and okay. Chris felt bad though. When someone asked him my reaction he was dead on when he replied, "I think she was just glad she wasn't the one watching him." I know I'll have my turn plenty of times to come.
Below: Smiling after he realized the camera was out. He always smiles for the camera!
This morning the bruise had moved to cover most of his eye and he's a little squinty now. Still happy though!Chris is trying to teach him how to say "You should see the other guy!"




6 comments:
OUCH! Poor little guy. I feel like Cannon always has a scrape or a bruise too!
One for the scrapbook!! The first of many black eyes, calls to the instacare, or phone calls to moms - just brace yourselves. Give him a kiss from Grandma!
ouchie! It's painful to look at your child's bumps and bruises, but most of the time I just really like them because it reminds me of how much fun Lily was having when she got them :)
That doesn't look pretty -- but he is so dang cute still! What a happy little guy? How are you feeling?
Awwww... poor little guy. That is one big shiner! HE is too cute :)
I love that he is still smiling!!!
Post a Comment