Now that we are just 3 weeks away, I've come to accept that there is a strong possibility that this one is a boy. And that's okay! Max and he may be complete terrors for the next 10 years, but hopefully after that they will be a little calmer.
Here is what has happened in the last 37 weeks to make me wonder if it's a boy:
I asked my doctor if some of the things (old wives' tales) that people were telling me actually held a grain of truth whether it was a boy or a girl. Things like how you carry the baby, how you feel, what you crave, and how your body reacts like being sick and hair growth. I truly expected him to say that none of it meant anything. But instead he said that there are certain tendencies, nothing foolproof of course, but certain tendencies that go with it being a boy or a girl. Everything that people have told me points to it being a boy. Hmmm.
Then a lady I've just met asks me if she can guess what I'm having. Since I couldn't tell her if she was wrong or right, she says she'll just tell me and that she's 100% accurate all of the time. She looks at me, spins me around, and announces I'm having a boy. I asked her what her foolproof method is and she says "if you still have a waist and look like you have a basketball under your shirt, it's a boy." With girls apparently you get pregnant "all over" as she put it. Anyone have a basketball under their shirt and have a girl?
Here is what I've felt so far in this pregnancy compared to the one with Max.
First, "cravings" - never late night runs to the grocery store with either. Just little things that sounded really good in the moment, though the food was different between the two pregnancies.
I can't compare how sick I felt with each except for the first few weeks. The first 4 weeks before going to the doctor, I felt the same as with Max. Then I went on medicine and I felt almost 100% (besides being exhausted). Since I didn't have the medicine with Max, that's really not apples to apples.
I don't know if I feel more emotional or physically different. A friend of mine said she gets really emotional when she's pregnant with a girl and more physically ill when pregnant with a boy. I should probably ask Chris for a comparison here but he would be afraid to answer. (I don't know why...)
You can decide for yourself if my belly looks the same (besides the fact that it's bigger this time around - don't point that out :).
I really don't know what else to compare. So what do you think?????Other random bits of information - everyone on both sides of our family that is pregnant or just had a kid had the opposite gender of their last baby. That's five babies born too!
Before I was pregnant (back in December), Chris had a dream that we had a baby girl.
13 comments:
Well I don't know if I believe any of the old wives tales -- I pregnant all over with all my kids -- your always bigger after the first pregnancy because everything stretched out -- However, as I think I mentioned in a previous post -- I had a dream you had a girl -- so that's my guess!
you look beautiful in BOTH photos! I have to admit that I DIDNT have a waist at ALL with Madeline and with Mikas people were shocked at how "normal" i looked from behind...but you look all happy and "I am having a girl-sih" and so thats why I vote girl, even tho if you have no waist, that doesnt sound boy ish!
Cant wait to meet new baby either way:)
I have a couple friends who had girls and you couldn't tell they were pregnant from behind. I think you should have a girl to help even out the family nieces and nephews, so I'm guessing it's a girl.
I don't think that there is any sure way to tell other than looking! But I'll get back to you when I've been pregnant more than once. :)
well don't ask me I can't even guess with my own kids - of course travis has been dead on with all 3, I say believe chris - he's most likely right - and even if not, never hurts to show your support :)
oh by the way - I'm going to be privatizing my family blog - would you send me your email so I can keep up with you guys:)
I am guessing that you are having a BOY! Or... a GIRL! I think you look amazing Erin. You actually do not look like you are only 3 weeks away in this picture but I am so excited to meet the new little guy... or girl. :) I hope you are feeling ok. Keep us posted as you get closer. Love ya!
Ok, so I totally believe that lady that spun you around. I was totally pregnant ALL over with Ashlyn (face, hips, etc..) and then when I had my boys you couldn't even tell I was pregnant from behind. It seriously looked like I had stuffed a basketball under my shirt! Even if this baby is a boy, and your husband had that dream about having a girl- that just must mean that there is still a girl up there!! So, don't stop with #2! ;)
see don't you wish you had just found out so you didn't have to do all this wondering?!?!?
i don't have any guesses for you. but you look great! i am sure you probably don't feel great though...these last few weeks are rough. but enjoy it while you can. and get ready for a whirlwind of two kids.
I don't have a guess, since I'm always wrong. It seems almost everyone I know is having boys these days.
I have 4 boys. I wanted my 2nd to be a girl so badly, but I still wasn't disappointed when he was a boy. In fact, they are the best of friends despite being 3 1/2 years apart. Then when I found out I was expecting twins, the feeling was the same and I was pretty much devastated with the news. But, really I woudn't trade my boys for anything. So, although I would still like to have a girl, I'm sure the odds are stacked against me with baby number 5, so I'm not sure if we'll ever go there. Good luck with the next few weeks. I can't wait to see what the gender will be.
either way, i echo your friends, you do look cute! i can't believe you're so close now!
now for what i think about baby...i guess i should lay my biases out in the open: i don't put much stock in the old wives tales. i firmly believe every woman AND every pregnancy is different. comparing my two pregnancies would be almost like comparing apples and oranges. both, obviously, were girls.
having said that...i think mother's intuition is best. though not all mothers have it. i thought eva was a girl until i "convinced" myself otherwise, but then ultrasound pointed right to that first impression. i didn't feel either way with elsa. (and my thoughts on father's intuition, not much to it. i'm not saying chris is wrong, but troy had dreams about both babies being boys...hmmm.)
personally, i think the way you carry depends on how baby prefers to "sit" in the womb, where the placenta implants, and your own body structure. i've known some women that have cute, little basketball bellies no matter what gender.
as for your friend who's 100% guesser, how many babies does that account for? you do have 50% to get it either way, and as far as odds go that's pretty good. one reason you'll never find a baby-guessing game in vegas. =) i know the richardsons (from the 7th ward) had a friend like that, who guessed boy for their second, and it was a girl.
probably more than you wanted. but does that keep your guessing game alive and exciting? i still think your really strong not finding out. i would be going crazy!
It's getting so close! We're excited for you guys!
I think I always had a waist & I have 4 girls. (maybe my waist was just wishful thinking.) :) Good luck in the weeks to come! Love ya!
Post a Comment