Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cameras & Photo Editing Software

I never blogged about it but Chris and his parents bought me a Nikon D40 for finishing my MBA. It was such a surprise and Chris had used the money he got from selling his electric guitar to pay for his part. He's so sweet. I love, love, love it and got a chance to use it this weekend. Chris's niece, Peyton, had a gymnastics meet in St. George that we went to yesterday. She was really great and fun to watch.
Here she is on the beam:

Her dismount: This was a fun picture I got of her floor routine. I made some changes with my photo editing software. This is the original (cropped): With a blurred background:
With a black and white background:
With a "colored pen" background: With a "watercolor" background:

Chris looks at the picture and says that it is just not natural for the body to bend like that. :) The pictures are going to be blurry (not too bad if you click on them) if they are blown up. I have to figure out how to take crisper action pictures indoors when a flash is not allowed. Great job Peyton! To everyone who came down - it was GREAT to see you! Chris says he likes the one with the blurred background the best but I can't decide. Any favorites among the readers?

9 comments:

kouklaville said...

oh my gosh you got EXCELLENT photos of Payton!! The beam and dismount is amazing!! Not to mention the floor routine! I really like the black and white back round one with her in color..REALLY striking! I see another lil Erin Shelly in the fam! Funny that you both are photographers AND named Erin!:)

Erin S. said...

for the record, I am not and have never claimed to be a photographer...i am just a girl with a nice camera....but you my dear got some AWESOME shots!! peyton is going to love these! i like the one with the background all scribbled out...looks cool!

MOMG said...

Great pictures! I want a camera like that plus the smarts to know how to use it. It was fun to be there with you.

Em and Jer said...

Awesome pics of peyton! I have the same camara and have yet to master the art. I love the pic with the scribbled out background... looks abstract.

Malissa said...

I love the picture with the black & white background. Peyton says she loves them all. We had such a good time...thanks so much!

The Ward Family said...

On New Years we celebrated it at 830pm. The kids don't know the difference. We counted down and everything. The neighbors were just probably wondering why kids were screaming it so early but they had fun.

The Harrison's~ said...

Great pictures!! your camera works great!!

natalie a said...

loooove the balack and white how cool is that!!!! What does Chris know - can he even touch his toes?!? :)

Laura said...

depends, is it going in a news paper or on a poster? =) i think the colored pen background is pretty cool. nice pics. yeah for new cameras! =)